Pages

Monday, December 7, 2009

Preparation = Patience

During the month of November I worked during the week, taught ESL on Thursday nights, prepared for a dance recital that happens next Sunday, audited a class, traveled to VA, KS/MO, OH, WV, and introduced some Extreme staff to Boston.  When people ask how preparations are going for Peru, I mumble...uh, er, uh, I'm trusting God that they all come together?!?  Over and over again, through the tiniest of whispers I receive words of confirmation and connections that let me know I'm going to be ok and I'm headed in the right direction. As Christmas approaches, I cherish each moment to spend with others and soak in my last few weeks in Boston.


This past weekend, my old boss Jeff - awesome cuban DJ Jeff the salsaroo - threw me a Salsa Benefit in Cambridge to help raise funds for Peru.  It was atypically, poorly attended because of the weather - we got our first big snow of the winter (and first sign of winter - it dropped from the mid 60s) - but I wasn't disappointed because it was so nice to be there with friends and have the opportunity to be blessed by others' support.


However, I have spent some time worrying about funds prior to Thanksgiving and the uncertainty hanging over my head has kept me from being super excited about what lies ahead, but tonight I got a call and there was enough of initial payments from pledges in my account to purchase my flight to Lima from LA!  We chatted about the weather and how awesome Arequipa is...and I feel a weight lifted.


I'm so excited to venture out into the unknown, but it takes a fair amount of faith.  It feels like I'm just building up enough for each day.  As time goes on I'll share more about what actually lies ahead for language school, ministry training, and beyond.  I promise it gets more interesting than this, but I hope to be transparent with my thoughts - my friend Gary said it was helpful to hear that missionaries aren't overly spiritual people who have this amazing calling, certainty, and everything figured out.  I have a desire to go and to be used by God, but other than that, God is orchestrating the details because I've barely got it figured out. 

2 comments:

  1. yea sista! so excited for you! so glad we get to experience your adventure through the blogosphere!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - it's Angela...Austin... :)
    I found this through Nick's blog, and just wanted to express my excitement for you on your journey. I'm looking forward to following your journey through this blog...know that I will be praying with and for you. When Jon and I took our boys to Kenya for 4 months, we were dealing with similar feelings, I think. Knowing that we were called to go, and praying that God would fill in the details. He did...and will for you as well, no doubt! We were just talking yesterday about how God was SO INCREDIBLY evident in our lives during those four months...in ways we'd never experienced before. It is AWESOME, and I am so excited for you to experience God in new ways.

    Ok, enough rambling. Can't wait to read more!! :)

    ReplyDelete