Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Choque Cultural

Well, it's certainly easy to recall the name for Culture Shock in spanish: "Choque Cultural".  The name itself seems like such a strong and harsh reaction to adaptation that sometimes it's difficult to recognize the feelings of discouragement or irritation as being just that.  Nonetheless, as difficult as it is at times I find it so rewarding to be here - struggling through learning another language, eating different types of food every day - some that catch your mouth on fire, and being thousands of miles from the comfort of people you have known for years and care deeply for.

There are days in which God's a little quiet, the land is still a little foreign, and simple communication can be difficult. It's in these days of preparation that we are not yet seeing the tangible results of following God and it can be easy to get discouraged, forgetting all the promises and past provision. This morning I took comfort in the parable of the Wedding Banquet in Matthew chapter 22. The reason I find comfort in it is not because of the ending, but rather, after reading a couple of commentaries to assist my understanding of the passage I note that I want my life, in faith and deed, to clothe myself in the appropriate banquet attire fit for a Kingdom celebration. I don't want to miss the opportunity of an eternity by finding other occupations and objects to keep me from following Jesus and I hope to have enough love and grace within me to give the invitation to the good and evil alike. I don't want to hear, "Depart from me, I knew you not". Therefore, whatever difficulties cross my path are worth the hassle. I want to be dancing eternity away at the wedding feast, with you, and all of Peru.

"Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to." Luke 13:24
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For your viewing pleasure here are a few photos to give you a taste of my life here at Zamacola Church of the Nazarene & 40/40 Training Center:

This is my team assigned to Arequipa: (Front to back, left to right - Nohemy, Beth, Mapi, me, Wendy - my companera, Daniel, Henrietta, Jen, Eli, Calvin, Tia, and Gary) We're missing Rosita in this photo because she was a late arrival to our co-hort, but nonetheless is a great addition.

Our training center/classroom - So far we've taken a church planting course and are currently in Anthropologia Cultural.

Our bunkhall, a little disarrayed.
My bunkbed - where I lay my head at night.

2 comments:

  1. ah sis...so excited for you. love reading your updates and hearing about this part of your journey with Christ. love ya, miss ya, and a bit jealous of ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Romans 5:1-5
    "1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we[a]have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we[b] rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we[c] also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."
    Not that you are "suffering," but as you experience shock culture, and simply your adjustment to a new way of life, know that the potter's hand is molding you. Hold on to that ever present peace and rejoice that the Lord is in control. I LOVE you and we really do need to skype this week!!
    Love, Ash or Fussbag :o)

    ReplyDelete