It's interesting to look back over my last entry and remind myself of these very words. It would be a farse to say that things have been easy, that my heart was completely in everything that I was doing, or that I didn't have questions. But the beauty of walking with Christ is that he renews our strength, he is patient with us just as God was patient with the Isrealites. I had a couple of down weeks, in which I was more contra than allied to the work that lay before us. As I continued to turn to Scripture, God educated me in wisdom, His will, and softened my heart.
As my attituted changed, meaning I decided to change my outlook and my approach, God filled me with joy and peace - for all that I was holding on to was hindering me in the reception of these gifts. So though we had a megaevent and started to do some work it was time to rest. We took a week off went and to the beach (in winter - hace mucho frio!). I felt refreshed and then was presented with the same questions and a whole new set of thoughts and solutions, that burdened my heart and mind. I had lost my focus for why we are here. Then we went to Lima to finalize the residency process...and now I'm a resident! Some R&R was healthy, but not healling. Nothing heals quite like the word of God.
Nonetheless, we started back into school this past Monday, have had early morning prayer with the church, meetings to encourage us in our work, and actual cell groups at people's homes. Because we are in school, Wendy and I had to switch our cell group with another young lady in the church and so we've picked up another group on a different night. I was unable to attend the first meeting because I was out of town last week.
First we went to the house of Freddy Salas, who didn't answer the door - so we left a note and ventured to the house of some girls who came to the Spiritual Retreat for people who recently accepted Christ. They weren't home either. But we'll get to see them this Saturday when we join a bunch of girls at park called Tingo.
Earlier we called Zelmira, a new believer that we had been visiting to see if she'd like to go to the cell group and reschedule our Monday morning visits since we are in school. She said yes and so our next stop was her house. Zelmira is a young mother of 3. She got pregnant at an early age with her first two, who are in Cusco with their father. Never had she thought she's be separated from her kids, or the father for that matter. Zelmira lives in a one room, stone home with her 3 month old baby, Camila.
As we were walking to the cell group home, about a 10 minute walk away, I wondered how Zelmira would feel entering a different home with us - because it was last minute that we were able to get in touch with her to invite her for the evening. When we arrived there were 7 people and 3 other infants around the same age.
Javier, who is holding the cell group at his place, is a thirty year old that accepted Christ at our megaevent, Love Extreme. He is so eager to learn all that he can right now and as a result, 5 of the people at the cell group had not gone to the event. After a time of worship and sharing a bible lesson with them. 4 of the 5 recieved Christ. We were a seated in a room that double as a bedroom for several people and a common space with tables. It was very humbling for me to be a part of. With the joy of the Lord we can bring others to Christ without modern churches and interior decorating or complex programming.
Needless to say, I feel as though God timed the revelation process before this joyous occasion - so that I would always learn to choose him over what I wanted or expected. I made some decisions to lay the questions at the foot of the cross and press into him. To give myself fully to the work of God because there is certainly reward in that.
Last night, Pastor Marcos, Sammy (another 40/40) and I went to the house of Freddy Salas, while Wendy and Sara (the daughter of our head pastor) went to another cell group. This was an alteration in plans from the day before, but God new just what Freddy needed. He's out of work and having problems in the home - a little down trodden. But having the two guys with me made a big difference for his encouragement and I was able to share my testimony about the things God has brought me through and how he has filled my heart with peace and joy - how he set me free from the burdens of the past and gave me new life and a hope for the future. My spanish is getting better every day!
I've had a couple of long days, but now that it's Friday I feel as though this week has been so joyful and rewarding - so full of so many wonderful things. Please continue to pray for us as we hope to grow in wisdom, mercy, compassion, strength as we help the people of Arequipa grow closer to God through our great savior, Jesus the Christ.


I love you and am so proud of you!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I love the bangs and long hair!!
ah sis...you are awesome...God is awesome. loved reading this post...reminded me of a Psalm thats been in my mind and heart throughout the week. 126...you rock
ReplyDeletePsalm 126
ReplyDeleteA song of ascents.
1 When the LORD brought back the captives to Zion,
we were like men who dreamed.
2 Our mouths were filled with laughter,
our tongues with songs of joy.
Then it was said among the nations,
"The LORD has done great things for them."
3 The LORD has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.
4 Restore our fortunes, O LORD,
like streams in the Negev.
5 Those who sow in tears
will reap with songs of joy.
6 He who goes out weeping,
carrying seed to sow,
will return with songs of joy,
carrying sheaves with him.