Today was a full day. We finally got together with a family after 5 months of keeping in touch and waiting for our schedules to coincide. It was a neat time to catch up, worship together and Wendy and I taught a lesson. During the 5 months we were waiting to connect with the Ccapa Tacos, today being a new beginning with them, in another district a new life was being formed that we met in the form of a farewell, for now. Upon walking through the small family store and entering what used to be a bedroom, an 18 inch casket sat in the midst of a cleared out room, busy with preparation for a funeral and people popping in and out to visit Marta who is recovering from her recent emergency surgery. Maria de los Angelos was a precious 5.5 month baby in the making. I assisted Trisha while she changed Marta's bandages and cleaned her sutures. I learned a lot about what life looks like for a body preparing to have a child and suddenly there is no child.
The family seems to be coping well and can see God's provision in the midst of this. Many from our organization attempted to give blood, a couple of us were successful in the midst of the stipulations. We just happen to have a nurse for a support mom and we've spent time with them sharing God's word and tending to the physical need - not because we've got anything figured out, but because God opened doors for us to be here and asks us to love on each other. (While I'm writing this, I'm challenged to have the same measure of grace for those that I live with as those that we purposely serve in our designated districts). The way that we've been at their side has been a testiment to God's love for them because many of their very own family members who live only across the street or a few blocks away have not stopped by, visited at the hospital, or offered to give blood.
Afterwards we visited with a contact that came down from Puerto Maldonado and will soon be moving to Chile to be with her husband who is working there, if all works out. We hope to be just another touch point along the way, in which Gilda knows that God loves her, though our relationship is ending just as it was beginning. Kind of like our relationship with Maria de los Angeles - but we know we'll meet again. For these years are just a drop in the bucket of eternity and we share the same hope in Christ's resurrection. I sure am grateful that Christ faithfully carried out the will of the Father. May we know Christ that we may know the Father. I hope tomorrow you are celebrating Christ's resurrection and we can do that best by loving God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength and loving our neighbors as ourselves.
I'm so glad this story doesn't end with an 18 inch casket or a tomb. Rather, because our Savior rose from the grave we are free from the sin that enslaves us and we'll see a happy little peruvian girl named Maria de los Angeles playfully interacting with her family some day. I hope you get to see her too!
Happy Easter! Feliz Pascua!
No comments:
Post a Comment